Monday, April 28, 2008

How old are your ears? "Mosquito Noise" Buzzes the Answer...



I came across this new development which was news to me, though I'm sure that some of you have heard about this.

A "Mosquito Noise" (likely call this because of the high-shrill-pitch) has been patented that basically works like a dog-whistle for kids. This high-pitch frequency can be heard by young people, but not older people.

Some of the developments off of this has been students using this pitch (at low volumes) as a ring-tone for texting in their classrooms (all students can hear, but teachers can't), and in 7-11's store managers can blast this obnoxious noise (at a shrill level that the manager can't hear) to keep out teenage loiterers.

This lead to my genius million dollar idea: figure out how to pump this noise up to max levels, and create "noise bombs" for riot control. Equip the younger police with ear protection, and launch these noise bombs into a riotous crowd. Most riots are younger people that will be able to hear the noise, and, if they can and it's loud enough, this would be paralyzing. You could patent this idea and sell it to every police force in the world. I'm sure that there are military advantages to this as well. Anyone that wants to invest, I'll be happy to line up a "how-to" guy to make this happen.

Click the link below to see if you can hear the noise. I am proud to say that I can. Kids, it might be cool to see if you can hear it, but your parents can’t!

Warning, before you play this, you might want to turn your speakers down... I blasted it and it really hurt my head.

Audio: Test your hearing age

10 comments:

Kristin DeVries said...

Well, all I heard was a little white noise. My speakers must be busted, because I'm obviously young enough to be able to hear it!!!!!! 34 is young.... right?

Kristin DeVries said...

Well, all I heard was a little white noise. My speakers must be busted, because I'm obviously young enough to be able to hear it!!!!!! 34 is young.... right?

Kristin DeVries said...

Well, all I heard was a little white noise. My speakers must be busted, because I'm obviously young enough to be able to hear it!!!!!! 34 is young.... right?

Kristin DeVries said...

And dorky enough to post 3 times.

Rudi said...

At first I thought that this was a very popular post with the family... and after clicking, I just found out that it's really popular with Kristin.

34 is indeed young, especially for a March 7th birthday.

Family- I am interested in finding out if there's an age overlap for the hearers and non-hearers... Kyle, Kelly, Jason, Kristin, can you hear this? What about any over 35s?

Jason DeVries said...

35 1/2, put me in the too old category. (At least for this. I'll still punish you all in kick ball.) And, I'll only post once.

Jason DeVries said...

35 1/2, put me in the too old category. (At least for this. I'll still punish you all in kick ball.) And, I'll only post once.

kelly de vries said...

I can hear it, too, although, I'm only 31. ;) And I'll only post once.

kyle said...

I Can hear it! But I think next year maybe not so much.

Becky said...

my parents think it's a joke...mark and i can both hear it, but they thought we were lying about there actually being a sound...hahaha...it was pretty funny!...there are also a few kids in my english class who have this as their ring tone, it's really annoying, but kind of funny because our teacher has no idea...she definitely can't hear it and she's 25